Friday 4 November 2022

On indefinite hiatus, with so much gratitude

Bryn and Mommy at CRF

I haven't posted much here because the summer seemed like a roller coaster - from incredible highs like being able to go out without a mask to the worst lows like Bryn's pneumonia, Ciaragh's surgery for a burst cyst, and on and on and on.

But we persisted, my furry threesome, my husband and I...and continue on for however long the five of us will be a family. We are taking each day with our 9.5-year-old with gratitude. We are working toward Ciaragh making a return to being a Rennie hound. We are following orders from our Combat Wombat, Col. Willow-Pickle

Thanks to everyone that has loved our Bryndled Beastie and her packmates. I want to leave you with a memory that just came up for me on social media, a vision of how I will always remember my time doing faires with my Best Rennie Hound, Bryn:

Possible best moment yesterday - a couple came into the barn to meet Bryn and I could see tears already in her eyes as she asked Bryn's name. She said that it had been three years since she lost her boy and she just missed him so, like it it was only yesterday that he died at the age of 9.  The more she petted Bryn the more tears rolled down her cheeks and I finally said that I felt like I should hug her - if she was a hugger. She was and we did and she whispered "Thank you." 

Our world is so big and fast and loud and bright that we go through the motions a lot of the time. This is true of me at faire - her name, breed, and age just roll off my tongue with barely any thought. I tell the same jokes about the breed hunting wolves, stag, and the English. I keep my fingers wound into her fur to let her know I'm there and she and I just make it through. 

But that bit of interaction with a stranger - who wasn't a stranger, she was Wolfhound Strong even though it was breaking her heart - broke me a little, and not just because I was apparently headed for a migraine. And it broke me in the best way, and it makes all the biting wind and ill mannered children worth it. I hope seeing Bryn and Barley helped her heart a little bit, because it helped mine a lot.

Sláinte and go raibh maith agat, from Our Bryndled Beastie (and Mommy)


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment